Saturday, March 24, 2012

Family (Firstborn, Baxters 2, Book #4)Family by Karen Kingsbury

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


After reading other reviews regarding FAMILY, and the Firstborn series as a whole, I would say I have to agree with some of the more critical reviews regarding redundancy, exaggeration, and rehashing of the same scenes. But because I wanted to continue with the series, and see where the Baxter family ends up before I move onto the Sunrise series, I had to learn to recognize the tells of Ms. Kingsbury digressing into a reflective moment and condition myself to skim the large authorial or superfluous sections.

Dayne and Katy are the typical Romeo and Juliet. Their relationship is made up of clandestine moments, others keeping them apart, a love so deep it aches, and the feeling as if life is not complete without the other. Thankfully, Dayne and Katy don’t end up like their counterparts.

This installment in the series is a lot of back and forth between Katy and Dayne. At times, I felt like pulling my hair out because of the conjured up reasons they both kept coming up with that would make their relationship too difficult to continue. But, the highlights –the courtroom scenes, the times Katy and Dyne are together, and a fulfilling ending, is enough to keep true Kingsbury fans connected. The series could’ve easily been wrapped up in three books, but hey, Ms. Kingsbury and Tyndale House Publishers know a good thing when they have it. And no matter how repetitive the stories, I am still committed to finishing the series so I can move on to the next.




View all my reviews

No comments: