Thursday, October 09, 2014

My Review - Shadows of the Past


4.5 out of 5 stars
SHADOWS OF THE PAST by Patricia Bradley was a ‘just one more chapter and then I’ll put it down” kind of book.  The kicker . . . one chapter always led to another.
Taylor Martin is a psychology professor and a top-notch criminal profiler.  Unfortunately, her skills have failed her in her most important case-the disappearance of her father twenty years ago.  When Taylor feels she has a new lead, she heads back to her hometown of Logan Point, Mississippi.  Once there, a stalker begins to threaten her.  Thinking her stalker is one of her previous students, Taylor sets out to find Scott Sinclair, only to butt heads with his brother, Nick Sinclair. 
After the loss of his wife in a tragic accident, mystery writer, Nick Sinclair wants to find Scott, his estranged brother and the only family he has left.  When he finds out his brother is being pursued by the police, Nick does everything in his power to prove Scott’s innocents.  Knowing Taylor Martin is hot on Scott’s trail, he asks Taylor if they can combine their resources to find Scott.  Even though he and Taylor have two completely different agenda’s, Nick can’t help but be attracted to Taylor.
Taylor and Nick try to ignore their mutual attraction for each other while looking for answers in both her father’s disappearance and the indisputable evidence proving Scott is her stalker.  When it’s clear someone is trying to silence Taylor, she’s not sure if it’s ghosts from her past or someone trying to protect Scott.  All she knows is things are not what they appear.
I bought this book because I am schedule to do a review for book two in this series, A PROMISE TO PROTECT.  I wanted to make sure I read book one in case there was information I needed.  I found very little overlapped between book one and two, but I am so glad I read SHADOWS OF THE PAST.  It was fiction-romance-suspense at its best.  I would compare Ms. Bradley’s style to that of Irene Hannon and Lynette Eason – other romance/suspense writer’s that are on my favorites list.  The main characters were well fleshed out and genuine.  And with a substantial list of secondary characters, the reader has numerous suspects to choose from as they try to solve who is after Taylor Martin.  I guessed early and happened to be right, but that in no way lessened my enjoyment in the book.  I am almost done with A PROMISE TO PROTECT and will post its review later this month.  But let me just say, I will be keeping my eye out for book three.

No comments: