Friday, January 06, 2012

RedemptionRedemption by Karen Kingsbury

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is not my first time reading REDEMPTION from the Karen Kingsbury Redemption series. I had read the first three books in the series when they first came out, but then I got out of step. I continued to purchase all the books in the set and the series’ that followed, but always felt I needed to go back to the beginning and re-read before I continued on into the other series that dovetail off of this one. So, between my other scheduled readings, I have committed to get up to speed on the multiple series put out by Kingsbury. All that to say my reviews will probably be short and to the point.

The Redemption series follows the Baxter family. The Baxter’s seem to be a genuine, close knit family, but there are many fractures under the surface. REDEMPTION tells the story of Kari Baxter Jacobs. When she discovers her husband, a respected professor, is having an affair with one of his students, her life comes apart at the seams. Wanting to do everything she can to save her marriage, she refuses to give up on her husband. But, when her old high-school sweetheart shows up on the scene, and would like to pick up where they left off, Kari is torn between forgiveness and anger, temptation and commitment. What ensues is a roller-coaster of emotions and a horrible tragedy. Kari’s strength on all counts will be tested.

It took a little while to get back into this book. I think it’s because Christian fiction has grown by leaps and bounds since this series debuted in 2002. About a third of the way in, the momentum picked up and I remembered why I liked Karen’s writing. I like stories that are realistic, not cookie-cutter, and the troubles that plague the Baxter family make them human. I am half way through REMEMBER, the second in the series and will post more when I am finished.




View all my reviews

No comments: