Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)Lethal Remedy by Richard L. Mabry

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


LETHAL REMEDY was a bit of a disappointment. I say “a bit” because there were still parts that I enjoyed, but unfortunately it still left me wanting. While I really enjoyed books one and two in the Prescription for Trouble series, the last two were not as well rounded. Now– I am reviewing this book from a female perspective, and the parts of the book I felt were lacking were the relational influence between characters, but I also am a suspense reader and I felt the tie-up in this novel was rushed and lackluster.

Dr. Sarah Miles is struggling on many fronts. The collapse of her marriage, the loss of a child, and now, one of her patients is under attack by a deadly disease that only her ex-husband’s research can help her with. But the more Sarah researches this new wonder drug, the more she realizes it’s a potential killer and someone is willing to silence her before she can make her findings known. As she teams up with fellow physicians, personal attractions arise, but that is where they are left.

The first third of this book was difficult to get into. In fact, when I read the forward and realized book four was an add-on, I felt that answered a lot of questions. It just didn’t have the impact as books one and two. Multiple characters were introduced, but none of them, other than Sarah were really fleshed out. Mabry tugged on heartstrings here and there, but that only left me wanting more. But, that is something I’ve come to realize with male authors. Sometimes they lack on the emotional front. The conclusion was a bit anticlimactic and rushed. In fact, I read the wrap-up without even realizing it.

All that to say, I haven’t given up on Richard Mabry, I would still probably buy his future books, hoping they have the intensity of his first two installments.




View all my reviews

No comments: