Friday, April 22, 2011

My Review - False Pretense

FALSE PRETENSE was a good read with some interesting twists, but not the page-turner I have come to expect from Kathy Herman.

Zoe Broussard is an eatery owner in the Cajun culture of Louisiana. Along with her husband, Pierce, she has created for herself a wonderful lifestyle, the only problem . . . it is just that, a world she has created. We soon find out that Zoe is not who she says she is, and her past is about to catch up with her.

FALSE PRETENSE is the first book in the Secrets of Roux River Bayou Series, FALSE PRETENSE combines new characters, and old characters from The Sophie Trace Trilogy. I didn’t know that going into it, but soon put two and two together regarding the characters of Vanessa and Ethan Langley.

I enjoyed FALSE PRETENSE, but somehow did not feel the fluidity or the absolutely can’t put it down mentality I usually associate with a Kathy Herman book. Like other readers, I found the Cajun dialect to be a bit intrusive. I know realism is essential, but I found myself not bothering to flip back and forth to the glossary because I didn’t want to take the time and it took away from the flow of the story. I enjoyed some of the unique characters, and some of the incredible plot twists, but I was easily distracted when the pace slowed and some of the dialogue dragged. I did appreciate the book enough that I will buy the sequel. One– because I know Kathy Herman can deliver amazing stories, two–because I can’t wait to see how the Bed and Breakfast the Langley’s are working on turns out.

No comments: