Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Review - The Jewel of His Heart

THE JEWEL OF HIS HEART was good, but not spectacular. The story had great potential, but somehow lost something in the delivery.

Juliana Brady has had a difficult life. Her father was lured away from her and her mother by the temptation of striking it rich mining. And then, her mother's death leaves her all alone. Juliana is determined to make it on her own independent of charity or handouts.

Josh McBride is single-minded in proving to his successful father that he can make it on his own. A sheepherder, Josh leads a simple life. When he finds some valuable stones, he is tempted by the world of mining, but he is also distracted by his infatuation with one Miss Juliana Brady. He must decide what he wants more, the wealth of mining or the love of one woman.

A good story, and good characters, but a little flat in presentation. I liked the hero and heroine, but at times I felt their emotions didn't run deep enough to keep my attention. The historical notes at the back of the book were interesting and an added bonus. I won't give up on Maggie Brendan all together, I just didn't feel this book had the oomph I was looking for.

No comments: