Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Review - In Too Deep by Mary Connealy



IN TOO DEEP, the second installment of the Kincaid Brides series, was quaint, but not as good as OVER THE EDGE, the third book in the series.

First of all, I made the mistake of reading these books out of order (That’s what happens when you have bookshelves two books deep).  So going into the book, I knew where the plotlines would take me.  But, it still didn’t have the flair of OVER THE EDGE.

I loved the character of Audra, with her I’m-gonna-run-my-own-life-now philosophy, and how quickly Ethan realizes he really has feelings for her.  But, the constant inner struggle Ethan has about not getting attached to her because he doesn’t want to feel again, was a bit tiresome.  And, since each of the brothers were scared by the events that happened in the cavern, there was a lot of time devoted to the rehashing of their struggles, fears, and phobias.

Mary Connealy has a talent for writing unique characters that you want to cheer for, even unique settings that make the story feel fresh and new, but books with too much emotional push and pull between the hero and heroine have me skimming the sections that describe their long, internal struggles.  But, with all that said, I still enjoyed to book, and the series.  Nothing earth shattering, but the characters were genuine enough that you wanted to spend time with them.

No comments: