Sunday, March 03, 2013

My Review - Forsaken Dreams by MaryLu Tyndall

Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1)Forsaken Dreams by M.L. Tyndall

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


FORSAKEN DREAMS is another action packed romance on the high seas with MaryLu Tyndall at the helm.

Eliza Crawford is running from past mistakes that caused her to be disowned by her own family.  She decides to travel to Brazil with a band of Southerners looking for a fresh start.  But no matter how much ocean she puts between her past and her future, her mistakes haunt her and accompany her on a treacherous sea voyage.  Her nursing skills make her an asset to the other passengers, but when her secret is revealed, she becomes the object of their scorn and hate, and her budding relationship with Colonel Blake Wallace, the organizer of the voyage, comes to a halting stop.  But other enemies or extreme bad luck are afoot on the New Hope.  Even though the passengers hold Eliza in contempt, her wiliness to help the ill and injured regardless to how they treat her, softens the disapproval of many . . . but not all.

Colonel Blake Wallace has lost his entire family to the war.  Weary and disillusioned, he coordinates a voyage to Brazil for other Southerners trying to escape the horrors of the war.  After the New Hope is boarded and ravaged by a union ship, he and the other passengers have lost far more than they were prepared for.  When hit with a harrowing storm, they lose even more.  When Eliza’s secret is revealed, the passengers think she is bad luck and want her thrown overboard.  Blake does what he can to defuse the turmoil even though he himself struggles with both hate and desire for Eliza.  Because of her traitorous past, he banishes her from becoming part of the new settlement in Brazil.  But his heart is very much a traitor as well because he cannot resolve the feelings her has for Eliza.

FORSAKEN DREAMS is a great start in the Escape to Paradise series.  I was surprised when I saw a list of characters at the beginning of the book, but was thankful once I started reading and realized so many characters would be introduced at one time.  But, once I got everyone situated in my head, I had no problem keeping the characters straight.  Mostly, because I knew immediately who I would come to love or hate.  I loved everything about FORSAKEN DREAMS.  If I had to pinpoint a weakness in the novel, I would say some of the push and pull between Blake and Eliza left me mildly frustrated, and maybe the quick resolution at the end was tied up too quickly.  But other than that I thoroughly enjoyed FORSAKEN DREAMS and can’t wait to see who book two will be centered around.




View all my reviews

No comments: