Sunday, December 09, 2012

Full DisclosureFull Disclosure by Dee Henderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



For two reasons, I could not wait for this book to be released.  First, I am a huge Dee Henderson fan.  In fact, I feel I started my writing career mainly after reading her O’Malley series and wanting to create characters with such depth and charisma, others would want to read about them and fall in love with them.  Second, my first published book was called FULL DISCLOSURE so the title alone intrigued me.  Unfortunately, like many other Dee Henderson fans, I found myself sadly disappointed with FULL DISCLOSURE for many reasons.

1.I had a hard time believing all of Ann’s accomplishments, complexities, and that she was considered a self-proclaimed introvert.  Many of her attributes seemed to contradict her personality.  She was portrayed as a super cop who knew people in the CIA, FBI, Marshall’s office, and Secret Service.  Yet, she hates being the center of attention and shies away from publicity.  But, how could she be labeled an introvert when she has seamlessly integrated herself into social circles that included the former Vice President, and every high ranking official in the law enforcement world?  She is wealthy and loves to pilot her own flights, but doesn’t own her own plane.  She is an acting MHI, a published author, a ghostwriter, and sheriff of a small town, and above all else, she is a dedicated and fiercely protective friend to so many.  With all this, how is it she could even be considered an introvert?  Sure, she loves her private time and protects it very well.  Complex, yes.  Introvert, no.

2.The book was too long.  I felt it could’ve easily been a hundred pages shorter.  The back and forth in Paul and Ann relationship became irritating, and I felt Henderson belabored the intricacy that made up Ann’s character.

3.FULL DISCLOSURE was labeled a romance, but I felt it really fell short of the mark.  Ann almost became unlikeable because she constantly pushed Paul away.  A few times, I wanted Paul to either shake her good and hard, or put such a lip lock on Ann that she would finally have to admit her feelings for him.  Instead, in the end, she conceded to a relationship, something I don’t feel a person like Paul would’ve been satisfied with.

4.I did not like the fact that we find out Ann is the author of the O’Malley series and other Dee Henderson books.  I felt this was a blatant attempt at marketing and self promotion.

5.As the book continues, you find out Ann and Paul have numerous friends in common.  But, somehow, their paths have never crossed.  And for the amount of people who think Paul is just the balance Ann needs in her life, why did they never introduce the two before?

Even with all that said, I still enjoyed the book on other levels.  The psychological side of the book in solving the two main crimes was very intriguing and kept my interest.  I did figure out the great ah-haa moment before it was exposed but that did not minimize my interest in seeing how it played out.  Overall, the book was an okay read.  Unfortunately, the last three releases from Dee Henderson have fallen short of the wow factor associated with the O’Malley series.  But, I will continue to read any books released by Dee Henderson in hopes that one day she will recapture the distinction she created in The O’Malley Series.





View all my reviews

No comments: