Friday, July 13, 2012

A Texan's HonorA Texan's Honor by Shelley Gray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A TEXAN’S HONOR is the second in The Heart of a Hero series by Shelley Gray. I haven’t read much from this author, but she is quickly grabbing my attention. I read A TEXAN’S PROMISE and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I moved on to A TEXAN’S HONOR to see if the author would continue to hold my interest. And I can say, she most definitely did.

Jamilyn Ellis finds herself it the middle of a catastrophe. As the only female passenger aboard a train being held hostage by a band of renegades, she knows her purity and her life are most certainly over. Not wanting to experience the pain of what it is like to be taken forcibly by a man, she asks one of the more sympathetic bandits to kill her before the more dangerous men get a chance to use her. Struck by her bravery, the bandit does one better . . . he helps her escape.

U.S. Marshall Will McMillan finds himself in a very dangerous predicament. He had spent the last two years infiltrating the Walton Gang in order to procure inside information. Now, faced with the possibility of seeing an innocent woman become a victim of rape, he must decide between sacrificing his own life or her innocents. Knowing he can’t stand by and allow Jamilyn to be victimized, fellow bandit, Scout Proffitt, helps him to escape the train with Jamilyn in tow. Knowing the Walton Gang will hunt him down for his betrayal, he has little time to get Jamilyn to safety.

I thoroughly enjoyed A TEXAN’S HONOR. I loved the characters and the grit Shelley Gray infused into the dialogue. Even though this book was about Jamilyn and Will, Scout and his journey after he too decides to leave the Walton Gang kept the tempo of the book fast paced. Both Will and Scout’s lives and choices had a distinct parallel and I found myself wanting nothing more than for them both to see they still had a choice, and could leave their sordid pasts behind. Great storytelling, a wonderful setting, and deep characters add up to a enjoyable book. I can’t wait to read the next installment.


View all my reviews

No comments: