Friday, August 14, 2009

Review - Sweetwater Run by Jan Watson

SWEETWATER RUN by Jan Watson had good and not so good moments. While I enjoyed the character of Ace, and the dangerous relationship between Darcy and Henry Thomas, I found Cara to be uninteresting and lackluster. I feel Jan Watson would have done better to have the focus of the book be on Darcy, than on Cara who pines for a husband carted off after being falsely accused. Even the injustice Cara’s husband faced with the trumped up charge of stealing was at the hand of Henry Thomas, a more interesting character. I would have put the book down on several occasions if not for the obligation I felt in finishing it and reviewing it as promised. Though the last third of the book kept my interest with multiple scenes of action, I’m afraid it might be too little or too late for some readers. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. And though I really wanted to like the story and the characters Jan created, it didn’t hold my interest like I had hoped it would.

No comments: