Friday, August 10, 2012

Coming Home: A Story of Undying HopeComing Home: A Story of Undying Hope by Karen Kingsbury
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

COMING HOME by Karen Kingsbury . . . why did I do this to myself? With each new spin-off series from the original Redemption Series, my review ratings have either gone down or stagnated. I constantly brought up the fact that so much back story was filtered into each of the subsequent books, that I felt I was only getting half a book each time I bought one. So, why did I think COMING HOME would be any different?

I cringed out loud as I read the first twelve chapters of the book. Not only was it a complete review of each family member and the lives we had already read about. But, each loving couple’s dialogue was so sickening sweet it felt so far removed from the normal. Now, that is not to say that I don’t still adore my husband after 32 years of marriage. But, I can guarantee each time we talk to each other, or brush up against each other while working in the kitchen, we don’t stop to say how much we love each other, how are lives were completely changed by each other, how we could never be who we are without each other. Now, we do feel that way, but to say it over and over again like the characters in this book, just made the first dozen chapters difficult to get through.

I also have read so many of Karen Kingsbury books, I have learned to read her “tell” the sign that something big is going to happen. Therefore I was not surprised with the tragedy that ensued. Now, to Ms. Kingsbury’s credit, I read the rest of the book in three hours because of being drawn into the drama and the action. It was heart wrenching. But, like many others of Karen Kingsbury followers, I think I will take a much need rest from her books. I have to decide if it is worth going back and reading UNLOCKED and the Above the Line series. Somehow I feel I already have the gist of it.


View all my reviews

No comments: